Re: [News] Gnote 0.3.0

On 2009-05-12, wispygalaxy <wispygalaxy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Doctor Smith wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 May 2009 19:43:58 -0400, wispygalaxy wrote:
>>

>>> Well, most Linux users don't fall under a narrow set of characteristics.
>>
>> Many however do.
>
> Where’s the proof for that??
>
>>> Learn to open your mind.  As Linux spreads, there will be more types of
>>> people using it.  :)
>>
>> The problem is Linux is not spreading.
>> At least not desktop Linux.
>>
>> We've been hearing this same line for 15+ years and it hasn't happened
>> yet.
>>
>> If Linux is unable to take advantage of Microsoft's screw ups, like
>> Windows ME and Vista, then Linux is totally doomed as a mainstream desktop
>> system and no amount of squawking in COLA will change that.
>
> The Linux desktop needs to have more advertising.

I don't think so. What needs to be done is more Linux machines need to
be set up by the big OEMs.. Dell, Asus, Acer, Toshiba, Sony etc.. I
suspect that backroom deals with Microsoft prevents this from happening.

> Not many people have heard about it before, sadly.

> In my IT class this past fall, I was the only one who heard of Linux.

Oh dear! You must live in the USA.

> People are mystified by computers, and they are afraid about switching over
> to new operating systems.  Proper advertising will let people know that
> Linux is a great alternative.  Even two years ago I never would have
> dreamed about using Linux.  Thankfully, the Internet helps spread
> information about Linux that the mainstream media fails to mention.

Hmmm... I think people don't even *know* what an operating system is.
They know *brands* such as Windows and Apple. They associate the name
"Windows" with the computer, rather than as an optional software
component.

--
Regards,

Gregory.