Re: C# Fails Very Badly at Popularity in the Free Software World

  • Subject: Re: C# Fails Very Badly at Popularity in the Free Software World
  • From: "domain.dot.net labs" <damonwcarr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:05:49 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> C# is Number 1(0)!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | C# Open Source popularity not what one might think.
> |
> | How does one measure success?
> |
> | The success – roughly defined as “popularity” – of C#/Mono/.NET is something
> | we’ve kicked around in comments here. Now, there are numbers from Black Duck
> | that have got some blogs picking up on some “harder” numbers.
> |
> | C# squeaks into 10th place, with a 1.24% share – virtually equal to assembly
> | language (1.23%)!
> `----
>
> http://mono-nono.com/2009/08/19/c-is-number-10/
>
> Recent:
>
> Study: Java still top programming language
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Java has its detractors, but according to a recent reading of the Tiobe
> | Programming Community Index, it's still the dominant programming language,
> | with little change in its overall popularity since August 2007. Runners up?
> | C, (Visual) Basic, C++, and PHP.
> `----
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10009669-16.html
>
> Video: Stallman on DRM, Patents and C #
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Stallman also explains comments he made in his keynote speech regarding the
> | use of Microsoft's C # and why the GNU project incorporate their own version
> | of C # in the portable dotnet technology.
> |
> | In another of our videos of the Gran Canaria Desktop Summit, Richard Stallman
> | declares his position on DRM, patents and C #.
> `----
>
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Video-Stallman-on-DRM-Paten...
>
> Related:
>
> C#: Is the Party Over?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Conclusion
> |
> | Is the C# party over? If the plan of C# was to slow the defection of
> | Visual C++ developers to Java, then it was certainly better than
> | nothing. The long-term savings for Microsoft in sharing a CLR
> | between projects was more than worth the initial effort. However,
> | C# is still not the de facto choice for Web site or enterprise
> | development and other languages such as Python and PHP, which are
> | bringing in a new generation of developers who don't have a need to
> | migrate Visual C++ applications. C# isn't going anywhere soon but
> | its best days may be behind it.
> `----
>
> http://linux.sys-con.com/read/117741_p.htm

I think the issue is far beyond choice of language. The best software
engineers can use whatever. To me I am deeply concerned about what the
future is in general for the profession.

With software development being seen by non-technologists as a
commodity they just will not pay for (and the 'my 5th grader codes why
should I care about you being special') and the global rejection of
the art/craft vs. trade differential in people..... Where do we go
from here?

I am experiencing the same 5% doing 95% of the good work. No
different. What is different is people do not seem to care about those
5% anymore as different.

Thoughts? Who gives a f**k about language anymore???

Damon