Re: C# Fails Very Badly at Popularity in the Free Software World

Verily I say unto thee, that domain.dot.net labs spake thusly:

> I think the issue is far beyond choice of language. The best software
> engineers can use whatever. To me I am deeply concerned about what
> the future is in general for the profession.

>From a purely technical standpoint, the "best" programming language is
... the one /you/ want to use, be it for reasons of familiarity or
productivity.

Personally (and again, from a purely technical standpoint) I have no
preference. I've used C, C++, Java, Python, Perl, Ruby, Lisp, Pascal,
numerous forms of BASIC, SML, BCPL, HP RPL, ARexx, and various assembly
languages (Zilog Z80, Motorola 68K, MOS 6502). Ultimately I come back to
Bash scripting, as it suits the quick 'n dirty solutions I usually need
at the last minute, but I wouldn't necessarily say I "prefer" Bash. The
language I'm most sentimental about is ARexx; the one I'm least
competent with is Perl; the one I'm most impressed by is SML; the one I
should be practising more is Python (given the kinds of distro-related
things I hack on); the one I find most appealing is Ruby, and the one
I'd /like/ to master is C (if such a thing is possible).

However, these days my interests are almost entirely non-technical, but
political in nature. That is my choice - my prerogative. So from my
perspective - the /political/ perspective, I certainly do have strong
preferences in many areas of computing, most notably the preference to
/not/ use anything even remotely connected with Microsoft. In terms of
programming languages, that means C#. It could be the greatest language
on Earth (technically) ... but I refuse to have anything to do with it,
because it is tainted by those corporate gangsters from Redmond.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Seek not the favour of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest
|  and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not
|  voices, but weigh them." ~ Immanuel Kant
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 00:21:04 up 84 days,  4:19,  4 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.32, 0.57