Re: [News] Tux Radar Shows that GNU/Linux is Better Than Vista 7

"Ezekiel" <not-there@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:h6kd3j$as$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2391973.2SPGKsyGyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Linux vs Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| And this is where Linux can make a big difference. There's nothing in Windows | 7 that Linux can't do, and in most cases, do it better. Our machines are | quicker and more efficient. Our desktops are more innovative and less static. | Our apps are more powerful, cheaper and less partisan, and Linux security has | never been better. But best of all, we have complete control over the future | of Linux, and it's success or failure at the hands of Windows 7 is in our
| hands.
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/linux-vs-windows-7

From the article...

<quote>
But when we compared the 64-bit version of Windows 7 against its equivalent Ubuntu release, Linux was faster on most of the tests we ran, including boot time, shutdown time and most of the filesystem tests. The only test where Windows 7 was significantly faster than everything else was the Richards benchmark of overall system performance.
</quote>

Sounds about right. Linux is faster in "boot time" and "shutdown time" and Windows 7 was "significantly faster" in overall system performance.

"But best of all, we have complete control over the future of Linux, and it's success or failure at the hands of Windows 7 is in our hands."

That is a sort of motherhood statement that was probably somewhat gratuitously added to the article to bring it to a conclusions, but it begs the question as to how many of the TuxRadar readers and staff are actually developing code to keep Linux able to appear to be in some sort of race with Windows. It gets harder and harder to keep up with commercial development, I think, and that will eventually run the amateurs out of that race.