Re: Microsoft Lawyer: the world will end in chaos

Marti van Lin wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> A ban on Word could deal a death blow to a company that has
>> committed many felonies (and was found guilty of trial
>> misconduct in this case).
>
> Well exactly my thoughts. That's the reason I posted this:
>
> - [snip]
>
> - The worst problem for Microsoft is, that "society" will look
> at alternatives and in many cases will get used and keep on
> using these alternatives.

Prior to Microsoft dominating the office automation suite arena,
there was considerable competition; people were used to seeing
competition and these other companies strived to maintain
compatibility with ability to import and export to other formats.

Microsoft on the other hand did not include a decent export to
another format, except a degraded one.  Example, Word would not
be able to export except to WordPerfect 5 when WordPerfect 8 was out.

At best, Microsoft is mediocre.  I still prefer WordPerfect 6.1,
because it was easier to maintain document formatting than with
Word.  I know of legal secretaries who decried of the move from
WordPerfect to Word.

A return to a competitive environment with multiple choices would
benefit the users and markets, putting life back into the
software industry that has been so dominated by the convicted
monopoly maintainer.

--
HPT