Re: Microsoft Lawyer: the world will end in chaos

Verily I say unto thee, that Marti van Lin spake thusly:

> - Microsoft in fact confesses that they have a monopoly. Since they
> claim that there will be chaos in society if Microsoft Word is not to
> be sold for a period.

Think about the utter lunacy of those who've standardised their entire
business on proprietary tools made by just a single company.

And what happens if that single company goes to the wall, and takes its
proprietary secrets with it?

Forget about Microsoft's Slopware and unethical behaviour ... this
single fact alone makes dependence on Microsoft's software sheer stupidity.

Furthermore, think of all the students who've been taught "Microsoft"
instead of computing at school. If Microsoft somehow disappeared, then
so would their entire IT education.

However remote the possibility of Microsoft's disappearance might be,
the fact is it's a possibility, and most Microsoft-centric businesses do
not have the redundancy of Open Standards to fall back on if the shit
hits the fan.

This is why truly Open Standards and Free Software are absolutely
essential for businesses ... and everyone else. Anything else is just
suicide.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Seek not the favour of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest
|  and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not
|  voices, but weigh them." ~ Immanuel Kant
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 02:16:37 up 84 days,  6:14,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00