Re: C# Fails Very Badly at Popularity in the Free Software World

On Aug 19, 11:35 am, RayLopez99 <raylope...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 8:35 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> [Idiotiocy deleted]

> Your link tohttp://www.blackducksoftware.com/oss/projects

> once again does not prove your header.  In fact, the #1 language
> according to the survey you cited was "C"!

Not so surprising actually, since this tracked new releases of all
open software projects, including existing legacy software projects.
Some C projects are getting updated with the old fgets instead of gets
to make sure you don't have buffer overruns, or changes to scanf or
sscanf.

> What a bright future C has!  It's clear you're not the brightest bulb
> in the room Roy, nor do you know much about programming.  C, Linux,
> assembly, as anybody knows, is legacy code.  C#, Silverlight, and the
> new framework for ADO coming soon, are the future.

C# isn't even that popular at Microsoft.  Microsoft has healed it's
relationship with Sun, which was the driving force behind C# in the
first place.  Microsoft is encouraging vendors to stay with Visual
Basic, or to use Visual Studio to create C++ code rather than
encourage them to use Mono to generate portable C# code, which seems
to have become a popular solution for vendors who want multiplatform
and C#.

The biggest growth seems to be in Java, and AJAX, and PHP.  This
allows a software developer to generate applications that run equally
well on Windows, Mac, and Linux, as well as cell phones and Linux
Netbooks.

There might be some concern about how Oracle's purchase of Sun might
impact Java, but Oracle might find it hard to put the Genie back in
the bottle.

I did a C# related engagement a while back, and I was surprised at how
difficult it was to get C# support from Microsoft.  On the other hand,
there was much better support from Mono, and Microsoft was really
chatting up Visual Basic.

Microsoft is beginning to realize that it can't compete with Linux
effectively by reinventing the wheel, fire, and nuts and bolts.  Not
so long ago, the purchased unlimited and unrestricted rights to UNIX,
giving them the ability to offer Microsoft UNIX if they wanted to.  It
will probably have a catchy name like Windows 8, or Windows 2020 or
something like that, but we have seen so much of Unix become part of
Windows over the years.  It was only a matter of time before Microsoft
found a way to obtain the scheduler, device driver support, and other
capabilities of SCO, BSD, and even much of Linux, without having to
pay more than "cab fare" for it.

Rumor has it that Microsoft paid $7 million to SCO for those unlimited
rights.  Microsoft Unix could be worth $700 billion to Microsoft over
the next 10-15 years.