Re: [News] [Rival] Sharp Presents Wonderful GNU/Linux-only (ARM) Sub-notebooks

____/ High Plains Thumper on Friday 28 August 2009 02:19 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Sharp intros 5in ARM-based netbook
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Asus may not be so keen on ARM-based netbooks, but Sharp
>>> certainly is. Today, it launched the PC-Z1 Netwalker, a
>>> weeny netbook based around a 5in display and Ubuntu Linux
>>> and an ARM Cortex A8-derived CPU.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08/27/sharp_linux_arm_netbook/
>
> Roy, this is the best news yet.  Finally, ARM netbooks are going
> on sale.  This particular one is diminutive, but appears to be
> very useful, a throwback to the PDA's of the late '90s.
>
> The following caught my eye:
>
> [quote]
> Sharp claimed the PC-Z1's battery is good for ten hours' runtime.
> [/quote]
>
> Such longevity in a PDA sized netbook is very impressive.  We
> were using Windows CE PDA's at work in the late '90s, battery
> life was only something of the order of 2 or so hours.
>
> Of course, then was only NI-CAD technology, the HP PDA's worked
> but somewhat slow.  There was a limited set of applications
> available.
>
> Given the specs, the Sharp should be a speed demon in comparison.
>  Running standard Ubuntu would make adding or coming up with a
> custom repertoire of applications easily.
>
> It is being released in Japan, I await to see such being
> delivered in the Western Hemisphere.

Nokia ought to bring out something similar... to Europe too, hopefully. But
It's still a rumour based on Asia's DigiTimes where they must be manufacturing
or at least ordering parts.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"...an ancient Honeywell mainframe named Linda Lovelace. Explained its
operator, 'She doesn't care where, when, or on whom she goes down.'"
- -- Lee Ann Goldstein
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 15:00:01 up 4 days,  2:20,  1 user,  load average: 1.08, 1.10, 1.12