Re: [News] [Rival] Sharp Presents Wonderful GNU/Linux-only (ARM) Sub-notebooks

____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 29 August 2009 01:26 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper on Friday :

>>> Roy, this is the best news yet.  Finally, ARM netbooks are
>>> going on sale.  This particular one is diminutive, but
>>> appears to be very useful, a throwback to the PDA's of the
>>> late '90s.
>>>
>>> The following caught my eye:
>>>
>>> [quote] Sharp claimed the PC-Z1's battery is good for ten
>>> hours' runtime. [/quote]
>>>
>>> Such longevity in a PDA sized netbook is very impressive.
>>> We were using Windows CE PDA's at work in the late '90s,
>>> battery life was only something of the order of 2 or so
>>> hours.
>>>
>>> Of course, then was only NI-CAD technology, the HP PDA's
>>> worked but somewhat slow.  There was a limited set of
>>> applications available.
>>>
>>> Given the specs, the Sharp should be a speed demon in
>>> comparison. Running standard Ubuntu would make adding or
>>> coming up with a custom repertoire of applications easily.
>>>
>>> It is being released in Japan, I await to see such being
>>> delivered in the Western Hemisphere.
>>
>> Nokia ought to bring out something similar... to Europe too,
>> hopefully. But It's still a rumour based on Asia's DigiTimes
>> where they must be manufacturing or at least ordering parts.
>
> With all of the anti-Linux movement in the background, I wonder
> what opposition OEM's may be facing.  Anti-favouritism in
> procurement of key parts?  Threats of software patents?
> Withdrawal of key distributorship avenues and endpoint final
> consumer chains for sales?
>
> Perhaps the FUD in this newsgroup is a key indicator.

Probably a bit of all the above.

âThey want to promote open source and Linux. But if you begin from the PC you
are afraid of Microsoft. They try to go to the smart phone or PDA to start
again.â
            --Li Chang, vice president of the Taipei Computer Association

I heard stories (not confirmed) about Asian factories refusing to manufacture
for non-Windows devices, or at least making it hard.

See some E-mails from Joachim Kempin to see how Microsoft breaks the law in
that regard.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

flailover systems: when one goes down, it flails about until the
other goes down with it. -- Rodger Donaldson