Re: [News] UNIX and Linux Eat Microsoft's Share in Servers, Phones, Desktops

____/ High Plains Thumper on Saturday 03 Oct 2009 05:34 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper on Saturday:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Except that from what I gather, this feature is only
>>> available in the most expensive, full featured version.
>>> IOW, one will not get it with Windows 7 lite (i.e., home
>>> version, netbook version, etc.)  One would be better off
>>> IMHO, to dual boot (if that is the way they want to go.)
>>> However, if like the other EULA's, this would be a
>>> violation, as upgrading means not using the previous
>>> operating system.  Period.  I certainly won't be plonking
>>> down a couple hundred US greenbacks, just for an application
>>> launcher (OS).
>>
>> Wait. Is it true that not all "Editions" (opposite of
>> additions, i.e. removal) can run this feature? That would make
>> V7 a lot worse than I thought.
>
> True:
>
> [quote]
> XP Mode consists of the Virtual PC-based virtual environment and
> a fully licensed copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). It
> will be made available, for free, to users of Windows 7
> Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions via a download
> from the Microsoft web site. (That is, it will not be included in
> the box with Windows 7, but is considered an out-of-band update,
> like Windows Live Essentials.)
> [/quote]
>
> http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/04/24/secret-no-more-revealing-virtual-windows-xp-for-windows-7.aspx
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/dg22sm
>
> [quote]
> System Requirements
>
>     * Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7
>
> Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise.
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=487f1e8b-f868-4c1e-a047-1b2306c0f592&displaylang=en
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/yhkzy9u

>>> So far from what I gather, most are not interested.  They
>>> lose compatibility with XP programs, unless they purchase
>>> the most expensive desktop edition.  Who wants to upgrade
>>> programs that they have been familiar with and suits them
>>> fine, just for a new shiny system?
>>
>> It has nice wallpapers.
>
> True, but so does Linux.  :-)

It's 'compatible' with wallpapers from all platforms.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Avoid temporary variables and strange women.
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie