Re: [News] [Rival] British Government Shills for Microsoft

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 15 Jan 2010 15:46 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 15 Jan 2010 11:28 : \____

>>> BECTA are completely corrupt and should be shut-down.  Why on earth are
>>> they so keen to push old technology onto kids in schools?  Kids should
>>> be taught about the technology future;  Windows would be suitable for a
>>> history lesson, but not a technology lesson.
>>
>> To clarify, "the Google way" has two aspects worth considering:
>>
>> 1. Google does not use Office internally, the employees mostly use
>> GMail/Wave/Etherpad(deprecated)/Apps/Docs
>>
>> 2. Children must be taught METHODS of acquiring information
>>
>> Re the skills in (2), kids cannot be expected to memorise menu items; that
>> won't stay with them and likewise, they will not remember data through
>> rehearsal (e.g. history lessons). Kids must be taught how to search for
>> information, judge its validity, go through Wikipedia, contribute to it (peer
>> review), etc.
>>
>> People who don't evolve with the times will stay kids. It's shameful to raise
>> an infantile generation just so that some corporation keeps its revenue
>> going.
>>
>> "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in
>> school."
>>
>>                                 --Albert Einstein
>
> Since mass education was introduced, teachers have never been required
> to remember every fact themselves, or even how to deliver every fact;
> instead, they've had well writted, edited and presented textbooks to help
> them, along with other useful material.  This is completely sensible,
> since some children will learn better from reading the book anyway.
> "Chalk & talk" has been deprecated for some time, yet in reality it
> can be very compelling if delivered well, so long as the talker is sure
> everyone is with them.
>
> Video delivery is much worse, because it has to be paced at the slowest
> possible learner, not just the slowest in the current room, so it's
> painfully painfully slow.
>
> But learning menus?  It's completely pointless, a total waste of time.
> By the time kids leave school and get a job, things will have changed
> anyway.  This is *training* not education.  Training is useful for people
> who need it, as it were, now.  Schoolchildren do not need training on the
> intricacies of Microsoft Excel - they don't need to know, and probably
> won't need to know, for years.
>
> If this approach had been taken when I was at school, I'd've been
> learning, err, how to use a particular make of electrical typewriter.
> Or maybe a particular brand of calculator.  It's not education, it's
> training.

I guess you could argue that QUERTY training would be valuable to a student
(or use of a mouse as it appears to stay here, at least for another 5 years).

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"Die MajoritÃt der Dummen ist unÃberwindbar und fÃr alle Zeiten
gesichert." -- Albert Einstein
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie