Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

]] Ian Jackson

> However, I think a basic requirement is that CoC complaints are:
>   - dealt with promptly;
>   - without fear of favour;
>   - and that the outcome is communicated to the complainants.

It's pretty common that the outcome is explicitly not communicated to
the complainants, since it's actually none of their business.  They
should receive a «we have received your complaint» message, though.

[...]

> Debian should make a public statement that Linus will not be welcome
> at Debian events in future.

I disagree that this is a good outcome.

> Also, Debian owes the FSF an apology.  That apology should be at least
> as public as the offence.

I think we as a project managed to project quite clearly during the
session that we didn't think it was ok to be abrasive and that we
considered his style problematic (to put it mildly).  I think declaring
him persona non grata instead of enganging as we did would not be
helpful.

Debian used to have a reputation for somewhere you'd only go if you did
have thick skin and enjoyed flame wars.  We've changed the reality
around that a fair bit and I believe the reputation is changing too.  I
find it quite uplifting that we're now engaging other projects where we
see what we consider substandard behaviour.

While we did invite him, I don't think that anyone actually thinks that
Linus is speaking on behalf of Debian and so we should not apologise to
the FSF for Linus' words, be they true or not.

--
Tollef Fog Heen