Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> It's pretty common that the outcome is explicitly not communicated to
> the complainants, since it's actually none of their business.  They
> should receive a «we have received your complaint» message, though.

This isn't my experience of complaints processes used by various
activist groups I've helped over the years. I don't understand how
anyone would have faith in a system where they can't spot the difference
between a rejected complaint and negligence by inaction.

Here's a complaints procedure one campaign group used recently:
http://www.highways.gov.uk/about-us/contact-us/complaints-procedure/how-to-make-a-complaint/
- the complainant is kept informed at each step (or at least supposed to
be, but they're not in fact, which is the subject of another complaint ;-) )

Can you show that it's pretty common not to respond to complainants, please?

I suggest that providing some sort of summary response to complaints
would be analogous to Enrico's good advice in
https://people.debian.org/~enrico/dcg/ch02s05.html#comm-howto-longthreads -
if we don't want conduct complaints to become long threads, it would be
good to follow those tips.

Need we force this by amending the Code of Conduct?

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op