Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 08:37:43AM -0700, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
On Wed, Sep 03 2014, Michael Stone wrote:
Watched the video. He was invited to come to engage the debian
community, and his style is well known. Debian could choose in future
not to invite him (or anyone who might not speak in a way that
everyone in the community likes) but I think it would be Debian who
would be more harmed by operating in an echo chamber.

       The point I disagree here is that speakers are not to be heald
to the standards and policies imposed on the speakers. Some animals
ought not to be more equal than others.

What policy, and what was violated? Right now, this is all a bit hand-wavy.

This is not the same thing as enforcing a CoC on the mailing lists,

       I am not sure I agree with this statement.

The difference is that it's a face-to-face venue with a limited number of participants and was intended to be interactive. The mailing lists can get buried under a deluge of noise, I don't see that as a problem in this context. In fact, this sort of venue seems ideal for airing and engaging on disagreements, without the misunderstandings of electronic communications, and the tendency for mailing list threads to spin rapidly out of control. The standards on the mailing lists should prevent people from waking up and finding a 100 message flame war; the situation is simply different when everyone is in a room and issues can be addressed in real time. That said, it doesn't appear that anyone challenged the statement or asked for clarification. If that's because the point wasn't really germane to what debconf was intending for the talk, again, the proper place to have addressed that was at the question stage. If it's because it wasn't that big a deal, then it's not that big a deal. If it's because Debian needs to figure out how to moderate this sort of forum, then I'll reiterate that it would be collosally stupid and short sighted to publically chastise an invited speaker because we screwed up. In my experience it's really, really hard to get speakers at *any* conference and it's not in Debian's best interest to foster a reputation as being a hostile venue. This isn't an issue of "more equal", this is an issue of balancing priorities in a world with more shades of gray than black and white. Making everybody feel welcome is a laudable goal, encouraging frank discussion is a laudable goal, bringing in diverse viewpoints is a laudable goal, showing respect to invitees is a laudable goal, etc. I don't think any of this is as "clear" as the original email suggested.

Mike Stone