Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 03:52:07PM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
I don't see any problem with what Linus said and how he said it.

+1 Watched the video. He was invited to come to engage the debian community, and his style is well known. Debian could choose in future not to invite him (or anyone who might not speak in a way that everyone in the community likes) but I think it would be Debian who would be more harmed by operating in an echo chamber. This is not the same thing as enforcing a CoC on the mailing lists, and frankly I'm not convinced this would have been a clear violation even there. He wasn't making dropping in specifically to make distracting personal attacks, he was responding to a specific question about *his own* motivations and expressing *his own* beliefs that lead to him to act the way that he does. It would be incredibly stupid and counterproductive for the project to invite someone to candidly engage in discussion involving their own motivations, then ban them because some of us don't like the answer.
Mike Stone