Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

* Philipp Kern:

> On 2014-09-03 16:10, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
>> Only with Linus can you call someone a deceitful bigot […]
>
> As a non-native speaker I can only wonder why the gist on top of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigotry is so much different than the
> etymology or the use in other languages like German. Even when
> looking at dictionaries from English to German they do not convey
> the harsh meaning depicted there,

Your dictionary is likely not current.  The 1989 OED offers
definitions which suggest the terms are objective and denotative.  It
even gives a quotation of a self-identification as a bigot.

But the actual phrase apparently was, “the FSF is full of crazy
bigoted people”, and it's clear to me that it wasn't intended as an
objective observation, but as flippant and derogatory statement.

My gut feeling is that it's still not a code of conduct violation.