Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On 3 September 2014 11:07, Ian Jackson <ijackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Theodore Ts'o writes ("Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14"):
>> More to the point, if RMS were to say something like "those people who
>> promulgate proprietary software are evil", would that violate the
>> guidelines?  If so, which clause?  And if not, what is different from
>> saying something like "The FSF is full of bigots.... in my opinion"?
>
> I think attacking a specific organisation is worse than attacking a
> class defined by a behaviour.  But I agree that such a statement, put
> so baldly, would be troublesome.

I would strongly disagree with such interpretation. When libel is
concerned allegations against specific individuals are typically
considered worst, allegations against a class defined by in-born
characteristic (like race) is second worst, then comes class by
behavior (like veganism) and only after that self-organised sub-groups
like companies or associations. This is mostly related to amount of
specific and explicit action required on the part of the individual to
belong to that group. Therefore accusation against a company or
association is the weakest possible form.

> Stefano's talk clearly implied a negative view of some corporations,
> certainly, and shows that it's possible to be respectful while being
> passionate, critical, and clear.

Maybe that is because you agree with him? I personally see absolutely
no difference between Stefano's opinion about several specific
corporations as taking power away from users and Linus opinion about a
specific advocacy group misrepresenting a legal position to benefit
its point.

I, myself, certainly see FSF as being quite bigoted against non-free
software and its creators and I don't see that as a necessarily bad
thing.

So far I do not see what *exactly* was violated in CoC, I see a lot of
disagreement of whether was violation or not, so if there was a move
for *any* kind of action resulting from this, I would personally
propose a GR to decide on the action and prevent any action before the
GR process is completed.

I, personally, thought that Linus was very reasonable and very patient
in face of a seemingly unprovoked very aggressive questioning. If
there was a CoC violation at that Q&A, I would have rather look more
closely at the respectfulness levels in a few of the questions.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@xxxxxxxxxx