Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Wed, Sep 03 2014, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 07:07:47PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Theodore Ts'o writes ("Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14"):
>> > More to the point, if RMS were to say something like "those people who
>> > promulgate proprietary software are evil", would that violate the
>> > guidelines?  If so, which clause?  And if not, what is different from
>> > saying something like "The FSF is full of bigots.... in my opinion"?
>>
>> I think attacking a specific organisation is worse than attacking a
>> class defined by a behaviour.  But I agree that such a statement, put
>> so baldly, would be troublesome.
>
> So if Stallman were to make such a statement, would you be demanding
> that Debian apologize to all software companies, or Microsoft, or
> whatever?

        If we have rules, they should apply to all people. Not just the
 hoi-polloi.  Either we have a code of conduct, or we do not.

        Note that we did take a principled stance when the FSF created
 the GFDL, we had no trouble re-packaging sources and pushing the
 documents into non-free (which must be galling to the /Free/SF). Why
 should we act any less on principle when it is a talk?

        manoj
--
"The most important thing in a man is not what he knows, but what he
is." Narciso Yepes