Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Wed, Sep 03 2014, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 11:25:13AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 08:08:49AM -0700, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> >       He was inviterd. He was also given the guidelines fro speakers,
>> >which by his own admission he did not bother reading. Why waste time
>> >with guidelines and code of conduct statements if we happily stand by
>> >and say nothing when they are violated?
>
>> I don't know what exactly was in the guidelines; either I can't find them or
>> they aren't online. I do see an anti-harassment statement
>> (http://debconf14.debconf.org/registration.xhtml#antiharassment), but I
>> don't believe that Linus in any way violated that.
>
> The code of conduct for DebConf is here:
>
>   http://debconf.org/codeofconduct.shtml

        "All attendees are expected to treat all people and facilities
         with respect and help create a welcoming environment. "

        "Sometimes this means we need to work harder to ensure we're
        creating an environment of trust and respect where all who come
        to participate feel comfortable and included."

(aside: does this include attendees who are also FSF members?)

        "Respect yourself, and respect others. Be courteous to those
        around you."

> As a DebConf organizer, I do not believe that Linus's comments (modulo the
> coarse language at the beginning, which is not the subject of Ian's
> complaint) constituted a violation of this CoC.

        Calling people crazy bigots is a fine way of treating people
 with respect and creating a welcoming atmosphere. Duly noted.

        Perhaps my command of the English language is not as good as I
 have assumed, not being a native speaker. But the excerpts above did
 seem to have been stretched, if not crossed, in that  session.

        manoj
 ps: I personally was not offended, having developed a fairly thick skin
 over the years. But there were people who were offended, and the CoC
 seems to be fairly explicit. Perhaps the language of the CoC need to be
 toned down to better fit what seems to be acceptable behaviour
--
A good awakening have ever Gotama's disciples, whose recollection is
always established, day and night on the Order. 298