Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, Paul Hedderly <paul@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:13:06AM +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> > * white (for the sake of this discussion; don't get me started on how
> > scientifically _wrong_ the notion of humans "races" and "colour" are)
>
> Indeed - "black", "white" are mere (inacurate) descriptions of appearance
> and do not make any reference to the fact there is but one human genome.

Black and white are descriptions that get applied to people and determine
their ability to get jobs, their treatment by the police and courts, and much
more.  The argument that racial descriptions are meaningless is one that only
comes from people who have been identified as the dominant ethnic group for
their entire life.

> > * male
> > * in my thirties
> > * heterosexual
> > * financially stable
> > * tall
> > * able-bodied
> > * able-minded
> > * living in a country with a reasonably good economy
>
> Ahh see there lies the problem. You are clearly not allowed to make
> _any_ jokes.

http://reasonableconversation.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/punching-up/

When discussing comedy it's generally accepted that people should "punch up"
not "punch down".  You will see this in many discussions by professional
comedians about what is appropriate humor, above is just the first blog post
that I found in a quick google search.  I'll quote one relevant paragraph:

# Punching down is a concept in which you’re assumed to have a measurable
# level of power and you’re looking for a fight. Now, you can either go after
# the big guy who might hurt you, or go after the little guy who has
# absolutely no shot. Either way, you’ve picked a fight, but one fight is
# remarkably more noble and worthwhile than the other. Going after the big
# guy, punching up, is an act of nobility. Going after the little guy,
# punching down, is an act of bullying.

> > Unless my logic fails me, I can not see how this is not discriminating
> > against me. The implied assumption seems to be that I am better off
> > than most and thus need to take more and/or am required to have a
> > thicker skin.
>
> Yes. That sounds like descrimination.

Actually the people in power tend to have very thin skins as they are
unaccustomed to being slighted in any way.  People who aren't in positions of
power are used to being abused on a routine basis.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, "Barak A. Pearlmutter" <barak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You seem, for some mysterious reason, to be fishing for funny Jewish
> jokes which it would be possible to use in making a technical point.
> (Certainly your question does not seem at all relevant to the thread.)
> And you've asked for my assistance.

Not at all.  I'm asking for what comments about Jews that might be made in the
guise of humor would be acceptable to you.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fortunes-pl/+bug/300298

What do you think of the above "jokes"?