Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On 22/09/14 17:48, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> The bottom line is that:
>       * your religious beliefs are offensive to me;
>       * my criticism of religious belief is offensive to you.

You're the one who brought up the specifics of other people's religious
beliefs. Whether or not such beliefs offend you, I don't think they're a
suitable topic for a Debian mailing list.

If someone's religious beliefs cause them to take an action towards you
that offends you, then I think it's the action, not the beliefs, that is
relevant to codes of conduct, respect on our mailing lists, whatever.
This currently appears to be hypothetical, unless you want to complain
about a particular non-hypothetical thing (in which case, this is far
far away from being about Linus and DC14, so, new thread please).

What someone believes about you and your eventual afterlife in the
privacy of their own head is their concern, just as what you believe
about their religion in your own head is your concern. It's when you or
they take action based on it that it becomes relevant. We can't require
participants in Debian to respect each other - even if we wanted to, we
couldn't enforce it without telepathy - but we do require them to behave
as if they did[1].

Can we please make an operating system instead?

Regards,
    (whose religious beliefs are "I have no idea what is going on")

[1] the ISO C "as if" rule in action :-)