Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 01:39:43PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 06:48:33PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> >There are two ways to address such issues.
> >    1. None of us is allowed to say anything that might be offensive to
> >       someone else.
> >    2. Each of us is allowed to express his own views, despite their
> >       being sometimes offensive to others.
> >
> >I don’t think being offended gives me the right to shut you up, so I
> >happen to prefer solution #2.
>
> I think that the problem is that some people seem to have proposed
> solution #3:
>
>       3. Only certain people are allowed to speak, depending on
> whether the opinions are morally correct.

Obligatory Bloom Country reference:

http://www.gocomics.com/bloomcounty/1982/11/14/

> I thought we'd pretty much established that the CoC would be applied to
> behavior within debian, though, and that there would not be a morality
> cabal, so I'm not sure why this is still being argued.

I'm not sure whether or not there is consensus about whether behavior
outside of Debian should be used as input into deciding whether or not
to invite someone who is not a Debian developer to a Debian event, as
some have passionately advocated, but I doubt it will be productive to
try to argue this or other similar issues in the abstract, as opposed
to waiting until we have a specific case where the issues can be
argued with respect to the specific details and merits of that case.

       	    	       	   	    	    - Ted