Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

Paul Hedderly wrote:
        > People deserve respect regardless of what they believe, but the belief
        > that I am going to burn in hell because I don’t share some ideas does
        > not deserve any kind of respect. Ever.

        Very interesting. Who mentioned anything about hell? Oh you just
        did. What arebyou so afraid of?

This was just an example. You didn’t need to use it as an occasion to
spread your propaganda, but you did nevertheless.

        I think what you are saying is that it would not be ok for
        anyone to state that they believe in some kind of judgement, but
        it is ok for someone to state that there is not any kind of
        judgement and that such views may not be expressed. Very
        tollerant and equal, sir. Thankyou for demonstrating my point so
        aptly.

Instead of “thinking what I am saying is …”, maybe you could just read.
It would avoid putting words into my mouth.

The bottom line is that:
      * your religious beliefs are offensive to me;
      * my criticism of religious belief is offensive to you.

There are two ways to address such issues.
     1. None of us is allowed to say anything that might be offensive to
        someone else.
     2. Each of us is allowed to express his own views, despite their
        being sometimes offensive to others.

I don’t think being offended gives me the right to shut you up, so I
happen to prefer solution #2.

Now if, as Steve suggested, you want to restrain our ability to express
some views just because they are offensive to religious people, you’d
better get ready to be asked the same from non-religious people.

--
 .''`.        Josselin Mouette
: :' :