Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:09:20PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Paul Hedderly [2014-09-21 18:43 +0100]:
> > A similar problem exists in the UK now. It seems that in the name of
> > tollerance you must be allowed to say just about anything you want
> > about anything, unless you are a Christian and then you are not
> > allowed to have or voice an opinion. On anything. Weird world.

> Christians can have opinions just like everyone else.

> There is a tendency to ignore them these days, I agree, which is
> probably because they've been talking nonsense for 2000 years now and
> people are starting to notice :-)

> [yes, I know I shouldn't, this is now way off topic, and the thread
> far too long, but I couldn't resist]

Being off-topic is not the problem with this comment.  The problem with this
comment is that it is disrespectful and denigrates the beliefs of members of
this project.  Being a perceived majority does not make it any more
appropriate to take pot shots at people's beliefs than if those people were
a minority.

I don't find such a comment compatible with either Debian's diversity
statement ("No matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you:
we welcome you") nor with Debian's Code of Conduct ("Be respectful").

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx