Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

Greetings Fellow Debianites,

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 10:47:05PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:09:20PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
>> +++ Paul Hedderly [2014-09-21 18:43 +0100]:
>> > A similar problem exists in the UK now. It seems that in the name of
>> > tollerance you must be allowed to say just about anything you want
>> > about anything, unless you are a Christian and then you are not
>> > allowed to have or voice an opinion. On anything. Weird world.
>
>> Christians can have opinions just like everyone else.
>
>> There is a tendency to ignore them these days, I agree, which is
>> probably because they've been talking nonsense for 2000 years now and
>> people are starting to notice :-)
>
>> [yes, I know I shouldn't, this is now way off topic, and the thread
>> far too long, but I couldn't resist]
>
>Being off-topic is not the problem with this comment.  The problem with this
>comment is that it is disrespectful and denigrates the beliefs of members of
>this project.  Being a perceived majority does not make it any more
>appropriate to take pot shots at people's beliefs than if those people were
>a minority.
>
>I don't find such a comment compatible with either Debian's diversity
>statement ("No matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you:
>we welcome you") nor with Debian's Code of Conduct ("Be respectful").

Well, I think the message of Wookey actually was something to be
interpreted along the line "please stop inserting/putting/injecting
religion and beliefs in this list's topics or in the project at
large".

Maybe I am wrong, but this is how I felt it.

And, indeed, how about avoiding talking religion and religious beliefs
in this list (and in the project at large) ? It seems to be that going
down that path can only be detrimental to the project.

Cheers,
Filippo

- --
Filippo Rusconi, PhD - public crypto key 7694CF42@ pgp.mit.edu