Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, Filippo Rusconi <lopippo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I think the message of Wookey actually was something to be
> interpreted along the line "please stop inserting/putting/injecting
> religion and beliefs in this list's topics or in the project at
> large".
>
> Maybe I am wrong, but this is how I felt it.
>
> And, indeed, how about avoiding talking religion and religious beliefs
> in this list (and in the project at large) ? It seems to be that going
> down that path can only be detrimental to the project.

When we are discussing a CoC the issue of religious tolerance is relevant.
While it's generally agreed that promoting a religion is a bad thing,
discussing the concept of religious tolerance is relevant.

Some years ago I wrote a blog post about the lack of respect that some DDs
show towards Christians.  That was before the CoC so the result was several
DDs writing blog posts with the deliberate intention to offend Christians (as
well as atheists like me who have some respect for Christianity).  The CoC is
good for preventing such deliberately offensive behavior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_Spiritual

In regard to the claims about Christians facing discrimination in the UK any
Christian in the UK who has a problem in that regard has a choice of 26
representatives in the upper house (the house of lords - the UK senate) who
are there solely to represent Christianity.

Whether this makes the UK a partial theocracy is a matter for debate.