Re: 2 Gb Sd Card Palm Tungsten C?

Arronj,

The problem with Palm, as Roy accurately posted from the web site, it a
total lie on Palm's behalf.

I have gone back and forth with getting information from the SD
standards people and the misinformation given to me and others about
the intentional Palm based limitation on the Tungsten and Zire cards.

This quote from Palm, which is meanlingless and innacurate "> Because
Secure Digital (SD) and MultiMediaCard (MMC) technology continues to
 evolve, newer expansion cards may offer different features, such as
larger
 capacity and faster transfer speed, than were available for us to test
when we
 developed our handhelds." is there latest reason.

Here are the facts:
1. The only limitation with Palm's like the Tungsten T3 NOT being able
to run a 2gb or larger SD card is the absence of a FAT32 driver. That
is all !! Heck the T3 has a faster processor than the T/X. There is NOT
any tpe of complicated file structure issue.

2. Palm has the FAT32 driver included in the TX and Lifedrive, that is
the ONLY reason that the 2gb and above cards work on it.

3. If you purchase a 2gb or 4gb SD card, it will be pre-formated for
FAT32.

4 All Palm has to do, to allow the higher capacity cards to work on the
Tungsten T3s and other Tungstens and Zires is to allow the already
developed FAT32 driver to be released and downloaded to the other
Palm's. My Tungsten T3 has drivers for Fat12 amd Fat16. That is the
only limitation, a little piece of software to support a more efficient
file structure for larger capacity cards.

4. The reason the the higher capacity cards are, theoretically faster
is that FAT32 file storage reads and write larger chunks of data than
FAT16 does. It is simply more efficient file storage for higher
capapcity cards. Tye formatting a 2gb card OUTSIDE of the Palm as FAT.
Then try it on a Tungsten T3, etc and you will see that it will work.
It will not be as efficient as if it has a FAT32 driver, but if the
files stored are large files, it will manage.

5. There are NOT as Palm has stated all these impcompatible non-SD
standard cards. If the 2 or 4 GB card has the special SD logo on it, it
has been apprived by the SD standards comittee, WHICH PALM IS A MEMBER
OF..

6. The irony and the LIE is prooven by the fact the PALM themselves is
now selling doing a OEM thing and selling a 2gb SD card, directly from
the Palm store. Anything special about the 2gb card that Palm is
selling directly, NO, except that it is overpriced at well over $200.

7. Why doesn't Palm release a FAT32 driver fior the Tungsten and Zire
lines and say that,
"we will only support the 2gb card that Palm itself sells".

8. There have been some programmers, who have rigged the lifedrive
FAT32 driver to work on the Clies and the Zodiacs. How to get at the
code to do that simple change so that the Tungsten and Zires can
integrate it is beyond me.

9. I have a driver that I am going to test that is a FAT32 that is
supposed be altered to allow a Tungsten T3 to read it.

10. A FAT32 file structure on SD cards, is also recommended for 1gb SD
cards. Just allows for more efficient file storage high capacity cards.

11. To repease, there is no MAGIC, in the newer SD cards to make them
faster. IT is very much dependent on how the camera or application
stores its files and the size of the files being stored.

12. Palm simply wants us to keep buying new units, but this Palm
enforced, intentional non-release of a FAT32 driver is disgraceful.
They want us all to dump any Palms that only have the FAT16 driver and
buy new ones.

Jon