Re: Pen Strokes to Drain the Palm Memory

"AaronJ" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
nj1ld1d4eqvp9ekfpablf3pouvv5qglf44@4ax.com">news:nj1ld1d4eqvp9ekfpablf3pouvv5qglf44@4ax.com...
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>>I still doubt the ability of pen strokes to bring the battery to complete
>>drainage... the Palm unit would insist on 'going to sleep'
>
> I dunno if the pen strokes work for sure, I've never tried them.
> But you can kill the battery with software. For example the Palm m5xx
> series had
> a problem with static discharge. One accidental zap and it would scramble
> the
> data that ran the PDA's USB port. You could still hotsync using a serial
> port
> cable (which you had to go out and buy and was much slower), but you could
> no
> longer hotsync with the USB cable that came with the unit. The only fix
> was to
> completely kill the battery. Palm's official fix was to send you a SD card
> with
> a program on it that killed the battery. Many chose to open the unit and
> disconnect the battery to avoid damage. (Killing a LI battery is bad for
> it
> according to many sources.) And the part that sucked was that if you
> accidentally zapped it again, the problem was back again.

Yep - that's the problem I had when I had to use that magic sequence of
keystrokes to kill the battery off completely overnight - sorry for being an
idiot and confusing the situation. The main reason I posted a reply was to
give the linkto the video showing ho wto open the thing up - I just added
the penstoke bit to be even more helpful!!!! Ooops!