Re: Google and SERP Analysis

__/ [Big Bill] on Friday 28 October 2005 10:23 \__

> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:52:42 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [rzulty] on Friday 28 October 2005 08:45 \__
>>
>>> Dzieki :)
>>>
>>> One more question. I've heard rumors that I don't believe but I would
>>> like to be sure about them.
>>> Does refreshing the page or visiting it frequently help? I know that it
>>> is impossible for google to monitor how frequently the site is being
>>> visited but there is this thing called PageRank when you install google
>>> toolbar... Does it do anything?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Pit
>>
>>Google do not monitor traffic,
>
> They've talked about noting how many times a link in a serps is
> actually clicked though, if you'll recall.

Yes, I happened to mention that aspect of their analysis in my reply to
Borek. However, it's more like in-house spying. You must use Google to be
spied on, which is merely equivalent to visiting a site and having your IP
addresses, among other stuff (e.g. routes, server type, time, etc.) recorded
for the Webmaster to view.

The major question is: should Google openly declare their intentions or set
up a page for privacy consent form? You know, for legal reasons?

I gave Matt some feedback on the following (formerely hidden) page today:

http://akismet.com/privacy/

  (I guess it might be crawled prematurely because of me...)