Re: Microsoft Does not Eat its Own Dogfood

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Friday 21 April 2006 17:21 \__
>

> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Friday 21 April 2006 16:53 \__

> >> ANSI SYS or some VB/.NET malarkey? Oh, wait. Don't ruin the surprise for
> >> me. Nedless to mention, the compilation tools (or development tools) are
> >> not Open Source, which is the equivalent of me lending a bicycle with two
> >> chains and locked on each wheel. How convenient when nobody else can ride
> >> the bike.
> >
> > For anyone wanting to compile these apps they can download the
> > development tools for free as well. (
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/ )
> >
> > Seems that on one hand you're complaining that MS doesn't open up any
> > of their source code and when they do you're trying awfully hard to
> > come up with excuses to discredit them.
>
> You missed my point entirely though. This requires Windows.

Perhaps this is now your point (or excuse) but your original statement
said nothing of the sort. In fact here is what you said:

<quote>
If so (I will give you the benefit of the doubt here, very grossly so
for the
sake of the argument), how come they release merely nothing that is
Open
Source? Google have been doing this and IBM likewise, among others.
Look at
their formidable (the positive connotation of the word) presence in
Sourceforge, for example.
</quote>

It makes no mention of operating systems. Has IBM released the source
code for AIX and where can I download it? Perhaps I can download the
source code for DB2 somewhere? How about the IBM xlC compiler? Can I
download the sources for that?

I guess it's good when IBM releases some source code without open
sourcing any OS or development tools and you praise them for it but not
good when MS does the exact same thing.