Re: Windows Sucks - A Wakeup Call

__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Friday 21 April 2006 15:41 \__

> On 2006-04-21, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Anyone who chooses to use Windows for day-to-day use has my
>> commiserations.
>
>  A quote from my brother who just took delivery of a new Dell yesterday:
>
> ------
>  SO, this box has AOL, Netzero, and Earthlink already installed on it,
> and I cannot find any way to remove them. No way at all - AOL doesn't
> even have "uninstall" in the Help files. And the little bastard tried to
> get on the Internet about five times according to Zonealarm. As fas as
> I'm concerned, it's spyware and I want it gone. Just deleting it will
> still leave little AOL-bots strewn all over the hard drive, right?
>
> Plus I can't get the speakers to work. But it is a nice computer :-)
> ------
>
>  Ah, yes, the "superior user experience" of Windows. I'm sending him
> a live CD or two in the next care package (he's several states away).

This reminds me of a story I was told last week. 7 telephone referrals
(actual people) were required for my cousin to be told how to remove a worm
that had found its way to the Registry. Again, other people's time saves the
day and wastes money. That was only the very beginning as far as security
was concerned.

I left my cousins with a Ubuntu dou, but knowing her unwillingness to
explore, it will take many bleeds before the band aid gets replaced.
Sometimes, there is not much that you can do. I cannot afford the time to
teach and then answer questions. Sometimes you can't help your friends and
family until they reach rock bottom (the junkie analogy), which ultimately
they do. Oddly, many people move to Linux because they are fed up with
Windows. Only later do they realise the Linux is also a better operating
system function-wise, poutting aside data integrity and security, which fall
under the 'disasters' categories and therefore urge the initial migration
(learning curve investment).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
  4:50pm  up 44 days  6:33,  12 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.52, 0.44