Re: Washington Mutual Moves from Solaris/UNIX to Windows, Now Deep in Trouble

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 31 July 2006 12:11 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> <snip>
>>
> <snip bit about banks using Windows for web services>
>>
>> It  wasn't too long ago that the Royal Bank of Scotland  and
>> National  Westminster  main  Web sites, as  well  as  online
>> banking   portals,  were  down  for  3  days  without  prior
>> notification.  They  use  Windows, which in my  opinion,  is
>> irresponsible.
>
> I've just checked Lloyds again;  they appear to have IIS for their web
> front-end, but use Apache on AIX for the online banking.  What I don't
> grasp is why, if apache is the right choice for the secure stuff, why
> use anything else at all?
>
> Should they move to Windows, I'll move my account.

Unless the server gets pwned and somebody else beats you to it -- moving your
own account somewhere more exotic, potentially overseas.

http://news.com.com/University+server+in+hackers+hands+for+a+year/2100-7349_3-6074739.html

        ( University server in hackers' hands for a year )