Re: [News] (OT) AMD to Announce ATI Buyout?

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Monday 24 July 2006 17:58 \__

>> __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Monday 24 July 2006 11:04 \__
> [...]
>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33217
>>>
>>>         AMD slashes processor pricing
>>>

> [...]
>>
>> Addenda (complementing the above):
>>
>> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07/24/amd_july_price_cuts/
>>
>>        AMD slashes prices by up to 61 per cent
>>

>     ArsTechnica actually predicted these price cuts about a month in
>     advance
> (kudos to them!) I was purchasing a full AMD system at the time from
> NCIX.com when I stumbled upon the ArsTechnica article. I immediately
> e-mailed NCIX and told them to cancel my order. Luckily for me, they did
> cancel it. And now (or perhaps in the next few following days), I can
> re-place the order, except paying only around $200 instead of $400 for the
> AMD chip I'm interested in.

Interesting.  This reminds me of something misfortunate that
last  happened to me yesterday evening. I keep walking  past
the  Maplin  shopwindow  almost on a daily  basis,  only  to
reveal  that  a hard-drive I bought for 150 quid  (minus  5%
student  discount)  now costs just 99 quid. The  rebate  was
made available just two weeks after I had made the purchase,
some  time  around  February. I'm thinking  about  buying  a
second  unit  rather  than excuse myself  with  sour  grapes
arguments. But it would be utterly unnecessary. Once you buy
something,  the best thing to do is to abstain from  looking
at  what /else/ you could have bought... sometimes it's just
hard  to fight temptation and curiosity. Either way, you did
well.  I  read about AMD's price changes only days/one  week
ago.  Can't  remember  where... the ATi rumours  began  last
week...  speculation predate that by weeks/months, so  there
must  have  been  inside  information  about  meetings   and
negotiations. Good for insightful investors...

Best wishes,

Modern man is the missing link between Neanderthals and the civilised man
Tasks: 128 total,   3 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie