Re: [article] Google product to help retailers

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:44:40 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>__/ [ John A. ] on Thursday 16 March 2006 14:42 \__
>
>> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:25:17 +0000, Davémon <"davémon"@nospam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Roy Schestowitz arranged shapes to form:

>>>I've always found the $100 laptop to be a bit of a non-sequitur - it's
>>>supposed to open up third world markets - but there isn't a telecoms
>>>infrastructure in order to provide connectivity services. Unless the $100
>>>laptop includes some kind of *free* GPRS it seems quite pointless.
>>
>> from http://laptop.org/faq.en_US.html
>>
>> What about connectivity? Aren't telecommunications services expensive
>> in the developing world?
>>
>> When these machines pop out of the box, they will make a mesh network
>> of their own, peer-to-peer. This is something initially developed at
>> MIT and the Media Lab. We are also exploring ways to connect them to
>> the backbone of the Internet at very low cost.
>
>Fascinating, John. Thanks for the information.

One might ask, what is the point of a $100 laptop to a developing
nation? Can they eat it? I rather doubt it. Nor can they plant it and
grow it. The under-developed world looks to be that way because the
other nations, the ones that got to be developed first, keep them that
way. What's the betting that if the $100 laptop ever happens in the
near future, and noble ambition that surely is, there'll be massive
premiums put on the price for the export version, also on any of the
components where it's practical. We have MTV, Africa doesn't, and many
and big are the interests vested in keeping things that way.

BB
--

http://www.here-be-posters.co.uk/celebrity-posters-sitemap.htm
http://www.crystal-liaison.com/ashleigh-manor/index.html