Re: GAIM

__/ [ ed ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 17:42 \__

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:25:50 +0100
>
>> Why wouldn't it? Everything works in SUSE.
>>
>> It is sad that wildly-crossposted flames from Microsoft shills leave
>> people under the impression that Linux might not work, Can you imagine
>> the impact of Linux advocates walking among a more Windows-oriented
>> crowd (e.g. uk.comp.*) and yelling out about viruses, DLL hell, slow
>> reboots, software bugs, zombies, spyware, slow networking, DDOS
>> attacks, and SPAM? Oddly enough, despite the fact that uk.comp.* is
>> accommodated with more Linux users than ever (I can tell the
>> difference as I was there in 2003), no-one /loudly/ criticises
>> Windows. More surprisingly to some, I often find myself with a Linux
>> crowd there, defending/recommending Linux. Palm newsgroups likewise.
>> It's almost as thought one in 5 UseNetters has Linux, at least on a
>> partition.
>
> That is the way it should be. Id don't want to spend time talking
> down something, but rather promote it's good points.
>
> The whole MS sale strategy is through FUD, make someone believe product
> X is bad, and then Y appears almost usable.

Not only that. They use misleading figures like "market share", which are
very different from "installed base". It makes IT managers fear an upgrade
to Linux (the 'cattle effect'), home users assume it's hard to master, and
developers less willing to cater for the /arguably/ insignificant niche.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Installed_base

> GNU/Linux is where it is now through word of mouth, how many
> non-marketed products have been that successful?

Aye. John Kerry could never defeat the army of oil tycoons, as well as Fox
news.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
roy      pts/8                         Sun Sep 10 09:49   still logged in