Re: Dana Blankenhorn Says Mark Shuttleworth Embraces GPLv3, Adds Anti-American Slant

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, waterskidoo
<water.skidoo@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 20:54:56 +0000 (UTC)
<f9ijb0$mg1$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 2007-08-08, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 08 August 2007 16:31 : \____
>
>> Well, at least a blue screen can calm you down.
>>
>> Better than kernel panic, no?
>
> True! I do believe that green is the most relaxing color though
> which is why hospitals, schools etc tend to be painted with
> some shade of green. Especially older ones.

Maybe so; I'll admit it makes some sense from an
evolutionary standpoint (we're primarily a grasslands
creature).  However, given the Linux limitations as they
stand today we'll probably have to be content with a
panic() message with basic white-on-black, unless someone
gets cute and fiddles with the foreground and background
colors during startup. :-)

Fortunately for everyone's sake, panic()s are extremely
rare.  They could be handled better -- but it's far from
clear to me that the machine is in any state to do much
apart from trying to print a message into a specialized
memory region (which maps to the video screen if all
works well), if it feels the need to panic().

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);