Re: [News] Charity Killer (Intel): Proof of Corruption

On 2008-05-06, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> ____/ Sinister Midget on Tuesday 06 May 2008 13:25 : \____
>
>> On 2008-05-06, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>>> ____/ Homer on Tuesday 06 May 2008 11:31 : \____

>>> Stallman says he doesn't use cellphones because they are proprietary, IIRC.
>>> He was/is going to dump the Thinkpad for an OLPC for similar reasons.
>>
>> Anybody can get along without a cell phone. A large number of people
>> do. People /can/ get along without computers, too, although smaller
>> numbers of people are willing to do so.
>
> I got rid of cellphones many years ago. It was just taking up space. :-) I
> hardly even use my PDA nowadays.
>
>>> Freedom != convenience.
>>
>> Funny that he wasn't willing to be inconvenienced by doing without a
>> computer when there weren't any that were not proprietary. I'm betting
>> he'll use his newfound "freedom" from proprietary hardware to get even
>> more preachy against hardware manufacturers.
>
> OpenBSD already does that.
>
> OpenBSD founder: Intel leaves open-source out in the cold
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=336#7851462737160269475
>
> Intel: Only "Open" for Business
>
> http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060930232710&mode=expanded

What do we propose happens to NVidia and others that refuse to
cooperate? Ignore them? Throw tantrums until they capitulate to our
demands? Warn them we'll refuse to spend money on their products until
fulfill our demands?

That's certainly a way to get them to release the specs, huh?

As I said, Stallman didn't have any problem using proprietary when the
only choice was that or nothing. I don't see any reason why the rest of
us shouldn't be allowed to adhere to the same or similar standards wrt
any proprietary hardware we're willing to use.

--
Windows: Proof that P.T. Barnum was right.