Re: [News] K Desktop Environment 4.3 Looking Good, GNOME Elections Coming

Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, GPS belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> This has more details from ILM:
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/files/linuxjournal.com/linuxjournal/articles/060/6011/6011s1.html
>>
>> "Systems R&D Group Manager Mike Kiernan reports a few problems with Linux:
>>
>>     Sometimes when I arrive in the morning a quarter of the Linux cluster is
>> locked up. Fortunately, it doesn't happen too often. VM problems in the 2.4
>> kernel appear to be at the root of our kernel lockup problem. Recent
>> improvements in the 2.4 kernel may resolve that. Things look promising.
>>
>> But he adds that ?Linux needs work on NFS big time.?
>>
>>     We won't be going to Linux for our NFS servers. I wish we could replace
>> NFS, but none of the document management systems is flexible enough. And the
>> ones that are flexible have a rather high integration cost. When AFS is
>> distributed natively for all the client platforms we need to support,
>> perhaps we'll consider it."
>>
>> Did you see that?  "A QUARTER OF THE LINUX CLUSTER IS LOCKED UP."
>>
>> All systems have problems, but this claim of "only" "Linux" providing this
>> kind of reliability is a lie.
>>
>> There have been similar experiences with other render farms from what I
>> recall too.
>
> Dude, that was quite awhile ago.  Code improves.
>
> Anyway, you all are talking about reliability.  How about speed?  From that
> same link:
>
>    Is it possible for Linux to be too fast? "Due to the speed of Linux,
>    for the first time in my life, 15 years in the business, I'm starting to
>    feel some RSI [repetitive strain injury]", says Technical Director
>    Robert Weaver. "Usually you are working the machine, but Linux is so
>    fast it can overwork you." Weaver has to remember to take breaks
>    because with Linux he doesn't get any breaks waiting for the machine
>    anymore.
>
>:-D

I'm not aware of anything other than Linux which does provide such
reliability, at least, not without moving to highly proprietary hardware
and software combinations, and then, one might only expect equivalent
capability.  There was no lie.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |