Re: [News] K Desktop Environment 4.3 Looking Good, GNOME Elections Coming

wispygalaxy wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>
>> wispygalaxy wrote:
>>>
>>> Companies are cutting costs and getting a good deal at the same time.
>>> It's
>>> a win-win situation.  Star Wars was made with Linux?  That's awesome.
>>>

>> Not just Star Wars.
>> Basically all special effects in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy were
>> made by linux. They were conceived on linux workstations and rendered on
>> linux clusters.
>> The incredible amounts of warriors in those movies were created by
>> "Massive", again running on linux
>>
>> < snip >
>
> I would have never thought that Linux made special effects.

Linux became defacto in render farms for special effects because if you have
800 pcs all networked, or 2000 cpus all networked and running for a week to
produce the water for a scene such as in the the movie "Titanic", you
really dont want a single PC locking up with a BSOD after 6 days and 23
hours do you ?

Only Linux provided that kind of reliability.

> I used to
> believe that Linux only performed mundane tasks, such as running a server.
> The average person does not realize how versatile Linux is.

Or just how much they are using Linux already. It's in most peoples modems,
Hi-def Tvs, wifi access points, digital picture frames, set top boxes etc.

> I always wondered how movies could coordinate all of those warriors
> successfully.  Thanks for telling me.  :)

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008