Re: [News] Potentially Millions More Distributions Released

  • Subject: Re: [News] Potentially Millions More Distributions Released
  • From: JeffM <jeffm_@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:31:54 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>Review: SUSE Studio
> ,----[ Quote ]
>|[. . .]
>|I do wonder how they will handle the inevitable flood of interest
>|and subsequent network strain
>|once the product comes out of its beta
>|[...]
> `----
>http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2009/08/review-suse-studio.html
>

>SUSE Studio: Too Good To Be True?
> ,----[ Quote ]
>|I just built my own Linux distribution through my browser
>|[...]Sometimes technology throws curveballs at us
>|that are so unbelievable you’d have to read the statement
>|several times to realize that you aren’t hallucinating.
>|[...]
> `----
>http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=766
>

>SUSE Studio Is a Boon for Organizations Using Novell's Linux Distros
> ,----[ Quote ]
>|[...]a Web-based service for creating software appliances
>|[...]could prove very useful for any[...]organization
>|[...]by easing complex customization tasks.
> `----
>http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/REVIEW-SUSE-Studio-Is-a-Boon-for-Organizations-Using-Novells-Linux-Distros-682485/
>

>SUSE Studio: The Do-it-Yourself Linux
> ,----[ Quote ]
>|[...]base template[...]with your personal software choices
>|then configuring countless other aspects[...]
>|then building it as a bootable ISO or VM[...]
> `----
>http://techgage.com/article/suse_studio_the_do-it-yourself_linux

A few example spins:
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Studio_downloads

When I saw this on Slashdot a while back,
I thought it would **EXPLODE** in the techie press.
The ripples, however, have been pretty small.
Do folks really hate Novell's pact with M$ *that* much?
Is it the *still in beta* thing.
Is there something else I'm missing?