Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 04:16:15PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> There are a few people out there (and maybe in here as well) who see
> (parts of) this story and draw conclusions about how Debian treats
> contributors. Conclusions that I hope are in general false, and
> conclusions that I’d not like to pervade our image.
>
> So, a bit more concretely, here are thinks that I such a neutral report
> could state.
[...]
> A bit more profanely, one could say that we have a slight PR problem,

Agreed. But you don't necessarily need a neutral report (which requires
a huge amount of mediation work and, crucially, good will on both sides
to be written) to address that.

The alternative approach is to publicly present, calmly but firmly, the
*other* side of the story, which is currently quite hard to discern for
people who are not on this list.  Once both sides of the story are
clearly identifiable by our community we should just let people draw
their own conclusions.

To be more concrete: I find the email that Steve posted to this thread
to be very clear, calm, and honest about how things went, as seen from
the vmdebootstrap "side".  Posting that mail to -devel is probably the
simplest act that we now need to be completely transparent with our
community, before moving on.  But that mail is also probably quite
personal for Steve, so I'd totally understand if he'd rather not do
that, or not do that in that present form.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack@xxxxxxxxxx . . . . o . . . o . o
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .