Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 07:14:52PM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> I believe public statement would be appropriate.
>
> Consider hypothetical situation: suppose there is entirely unsubstantiated
> article published somewhere accusing Debian of doing something which is not
> true. General public may not know if that's the case and official response to
> rumours may be appropriate to clarify situation.

Very often in this hypothetical situation, the best thing to do is to
not to dignify said unsubstantiated article with a reply.  A reply
means there's controversy, and controversy means more attention.  And
unless you are willing to drag everything out and try to litigate in
the court of public opinion --- which you are not guaranteed to win,
even if you are in the "right".  And so very often the best advice
that a public relations expert will give you is to simply ignore the
unsubstantiated article.

Cheers,

							- Ted