Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

Micha Lenk <micha@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 21/11/15 14:53, Andrew Shadura wrote:
>> I don't know what you guys think about it, but having read a bunch of
>> comments to the ‘news’ articles on this topic in multiple languages I
>> see that mostly the ‘news’ present this as aggression of one of the
>> Debian teams to a leader of a project, and comments are mostly ‘Debian
>> people are such arseholes’.
>>
>> And I fully understand this impression the situation has created in
>> outsiders' minds, because they've got no context at all what has
>> happened inside of Debian project. We need to give the context, I think.
>> Because as it is now, we do indeed look bad. Some action is required, I
>> believe.
>
> The root cause for this discrepancy is some lack of transparency of the
> Debian project. So, in my opinion the only sane action that could fix
> this discrepancy is to work on the root cause, i.e. to make (not
> explicitly exempted parts of) this discussion on debian-private public,
> better sooner than later. At least I consider the discussion here on
> debian-private quite balanced, and I am convinced that it would
> definitely help to improve the public perception of how the Debian
> project dealt with the situation.

Unfortunately, what you are suggesting is that we put a dent in an
individual's reputation in order to improve Debian's reputation.

The reputation of the project is not so very important, and does not
rest very much on cases like this.

The reputation of an individual is easily damaged, and hard to repair.

Imagine if the first thing that came up on searches for your name was a
clinical assessment of why it was justified to avoid something you built
(and of which you are rightly proud) and worth going to the effort of
re-implementing it, mostly because you were difficult to work with over
an extended period of time.

It wouldn't do much for your future job prospects, would it?

It wouldn't help you get over the upset either.

We should never do this.

Cheers, Phil.