Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 12:43:33AM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 11/12/2015 06:10 PM, Christian Kastner wrote:
> >> Also, I don't think that any statement we produce, neutral or not, would
> >> help Daniel. Nothing short of "oh, we were completely wrong, Daniel was
> >> right, and we're making changes to make sure it doesn't happen again"
> >> would make him feel better or less "attacked".
> >
> > Agreed. However, there still remains the issue of how this will reflect
> > on the project as a whole.
>
> So far, I've only read everyone discussing how the project should handle
> the situation, so that we don't look too bad.

True.

> Am I the only one who is sad, knowing that Daniel probably feels really
> miserable right now? Or just nobody sees that?!?

I don't think so. But the question becomes one of, what can we still do
for him at this point?

Obviously, a mistake was made. But it has been corrected since; Iain has
reneged on the -ng name, and apologised for it[1]. At this point, it's
up to Daniel to choose to accept that apology and move on, or to decide
that the whole project is up in arms against him and refuse to move on.

If he chooses to do the latter, there's very little the project can do,
other than fall on its knees and say "sorry we've hurt you in the past,
please come back to us. I don't think we should do that.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/11/msg00132.html

[...]
> We should not just let Daniel go this way. If we do nothing, then anyone
> believing we're bad is bloody right. If we don't know how to make a
> public statement, at least a private message sent to him, on the name of
> the project (by the DPL?), is the least we can do, if nobody wants to
> call him back.

I don't think the DPL can do anything at this point beyond repeat what
Iain has said, and that would not seem to make much sense to me.

If you disagree, I would be interested in hearing your suggestions.
I understand Daniel was once removed from the project, however; in that
light, please remember that doing something which might be interpreted
as reneging on past positions would be sensitive, at the least.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26