Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 11:52:36AM -0400, micah wrote:
> > In fact, most people believe Linus was successful precisely *because*
> > Linus is normally quite reasonable, and his decisions are generally
> > quite pragmatic and reasonable.
>
> You can be brutal and abusive while at the same time being pragmatic and
> reasonable.

If you were to take a sum total of Linus's interaction with his
community, I would argue that *he* is not brutal and abusive.  There
may be some individual comments of his that might be interpreted by
some to be brutal and abusive, although I'm not aware of a situation
where the recipient of his comments has interpreted them in that way.
However, what I was objecting to was how some people feel comfortable
casting someone based on the some clickbait articles to define the sum
total of a person's characters.  Just as someone shouldn't be defined
solely on the color of their skin, it's similarly unfair to define
someone based soley on a few intemperate comments.

And at some level, this goes back to the CoC; it's one thing to
criticize and characterize one person's behaviors.  To go further and
use the same characterization for someone as a *person* doesn't seem
to me to follow the CoC's reques to "Assume Good Faith".

It's a bit sad that people have been resorting to a pretty large
amount of hyperbole and exaggerations, not to mention
characterizations of people's character, in order to make their
points.

Best regards,

					- Ted