Re: [News] Konqueror is an Innovative 'Killer' Application for Linux

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ Hadron Quark ] on Saturday 09 September 2006 13:20 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> __/ [ Gubo Dangle ] on Saturday 09 September 2006 12:14 \__

>>> No, because two separate windows are fragmented and they hog more
>>> resources.
>>
>> No they dont. Well they do : but minimally. Almost certainly the two
>> frames you are looking at are window devices in their own right. And
>> besides, who gives a shit? A window handle or tow here or there doesnt
>> make any odds on a desktop.
>

> It's a pane versus-window scenario. I have programmed for Linux before and I
> happen to know the difference, in terms os strain of the system, as well as
> clutter (e.g. taskbar). There is a reason why many tab managers give the
> option to open all windows as tabs, overriding any request to open pages in
> new windows.

The view is a seperate window handle : live with it. Almost every widget
has its own handle and message queue. It really doesnt stress anything
on a desktop to open it in a new frame or in a pane. Considering the
pane manager needs resize borders it might just use even more resources

>>> Have you used text editors that split vertically and horizontally, e.g.
>>> while editing the exact same file? I'm not sure you fully comprehend the
>>> value of integrated views, which is related to (yet not the same as)
>>> the
>>
>> LOL. The arrogance. You're not sure he comprehends the idea of
>> integrated views???? FFS : he's off his trolley again. Mark, get Roy his
>> meds - he thinks people cant comprehend multiple window displays
>> now. What a complex paradigm shift. Do explain it to us Roy.
>

> In your favourite editor, can you edit line 200 and line 1 without
> scrolling?

Yes. I use emacs. Whats your point? You're not going to start "my editor
is more professional than yours" are you? Because I can assure you it isn't.

> What if you wish to copy and paste from/to within the same file and do so
> simultaneously?

Sorry? Do what "simultaneously"?

> Are you confident as a programmer? Your reply is
> filled with

Yes.

> arrogance, so who are you to say that mine was conceited? Merely anything
> you say comes from a high horse of cardboard. This pattern was pointed out
> by others in the past.

I say you're being an arrogant prick by suggesting that the previous
poster couldn't understand the benefits of integrated panes. Its so damn
obvious its not funny. Funny enough in emacs you can do panes or frames
: its up to you. I dont really care about a window handle here or there
to be honest. Do you?

>>> tab.  Personally, I would prefer to use a browser with a more 'liquid'
>>> layout, as opposed to rigid. Dealing with pages simultaneously should be
>>> similar to management of a desktop (not a primitive Windows desktop, but
>>> something more like an augmented, feature-rich KDE desktop). There's still
>>> a struggle between a more familar and trditional paradism and one which
>>> requires some training, but entails improvements. BumpTop is not a
>>> good
>>
>> Did anyone understand that burble? A job in marketing awaits Roy.
>

> There are some typos there, e.g. "traditional paradigm", but I think you
> /choose/ not to understand. Feel free to return to the childish artwork of
> Windows XP with a file manager that says zilch about objects and whose
> function is an artists' equivalent of a box of crayons.

Sorry? I use Nautilus sometimes, and dired the rest. I dont like bit
monolithic apps which try to be too many things to too many people :
Konqueror for example.

>>> example (I think it's a poor implementation), but it's noteworthy, I
>>> think.
>>>
>>> http://honeybrown.ca/Pubs/BumpTop.html
>>>
>>> I think it's a shame that few people have grasped the advanced control
>>> the
>>
>> Few people have grasped? Is he on ego pills again?!?!?! I'm gobsmacked
>> at Roys humongous intellect : let us bow down and worship at his altar.
>>
>>> KDE makes available for file management and user interaction. It requires
>>> very few clicks, delivers more information than most, and fascilitates
>>> tasks
>>
>> Few clicks? Example : and dont tell me its quicker to do single click
>> than double : in terms of "real time" doing "real work" its not.
>

> Use the keyboard for navigation. With more keys available, you can jump the
> files of interest alpha-numerically and have refined scrolling,
> e.g. home,
> end, pgdn, pgup. Too many people still rely on context menus, toolbars
> and

Whats wrong with context menus? or context sensitive keyboard mappings?
And what are you blabbing on about? You can use keyboards in windows and
gnome too you know.

> mouse motion. These are fine at the start, but every tool should offer
> controls for gradually-improving productivity. Many Windows users just
> don't

What does that mean? Expert mode? Loads of apps have that. What are you
getting at?

> want to learn better ways because the tool before them _discourages
> this_.

Bullshit. So because, say, doest have an "xpert" mode, does that make it
brain dead too? Oh no. Its a Linux app.

> Windows doesn't not facilitate improvement and exploration, but this

Bullshit. It can and does : but generally most people dont have to
because its easy to use - and believe it or not thats what bosses want -
productivity on the desktop , not some dweeb "exploring" during office
hours in an attempt to get his printer working.

> perfectly aligns with the agenda of its masters -- make people stupid and
> they will continue to buy your rubbish, as a blind course of choice.

Did I say "bullshit"?

Do you really believe this nonsense you are spouting?

Yo do realise that the man machnie interface on Linux is different for
all the competing WMs? So almost everything you say is damning other
Linux distros?

>>> that could otherwise be impossible or very cumbersome.
>>
>> What tasks?
>

> Hypothetical example: You are logged into Windows XP. You need to open 10
> files over FTP, adding the word "bar" and placing them back on the FTP
> server. You also need to edit only the files whose content begins with the
> word "foo". There is a total of 100 files. With the Konqueror GUI alone (no
> CLI), this could take just a minute.

So what? There are zillions of free windows apps that can do that
too. Or even firefox extensions I daresay. Its nothing "Linux"y. Its an
app. And apps exist for Windows too.

Do you have any idea of the nonsense you are spouting?

--
'Mounting' is used for three things: climbing on a horse, linking in a
hard disk unit in data systems, and, well, mounting during sex.