Re: [News] Microsoft OOXML: Fail

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:50:05 +0000
<2374354.TXM0pY127x@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 14 March 2008 22:37 : \____
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
>> <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:24:18 -0400
>> <tovghphl2iv7$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> No.  Only after their customers began to request a standard document format
>>> did Microsoft become interested.
>>
>> They already had one.  Microsoft Word.  Why would they need another? ;-)
>
> It made a nice forced upgrade ramp. Ask people who get sent .docx.

Or non-Microsoft people who get sent .doc.  Standard?
Definitely, in the de-facto sense.  Certainly not standard
in the thorougly documented, discussed to death, and
ultimately approved by anything resembling a governmental
body sense.

But give credit where credit's due; C#'s interface (if
not its implementation) is standardized through ECMA.
Of course this doesn't mean it's the preferential solution
for code development.

And from what I've heard, OOXML isn't exactly the preferential
solution for document development.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false;  return h;}