Re: [News] Abuse of Intellectual Monopolies Does Not Work for Slaughterhouse

On 2009-02-20, chrisv <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Homer wrote:
>
>>What's more "mindless", needless brutality for entertainment and profit,
>>or complaining about that needless brutality?
>>
>>Attempting to marginalise those who are appalled by this vile activity,
>
> Well, there are shades of gray, here.  I would not call rodeo a "vile
> activity".  On the other hand, I *would* call bullfighting a "vile
> activity".  Is being a rodeo animal worse than pulling a plow through
> a field all day?  I would think not!  How about race-horses?  Is that
> a cruel existence?

I think horse racing is cruel, rodeos less so. Race horses are so
overbred that a misstep can break a leg. They frequently bleed from the
lungs after races... and are goaded throughout...

Greyhound racing? It's their natural behaviour to chase something moving
fast. They aren't goaded with a whip and seem to enjoy running.

> One could argue that all animals have to "pull their weight" in this
> world, including humans, many of whom work their lives away in shitty
> jobs, just so they can survive.

Tell me about it... 8-(

--
Regards,