Re: Microsoft Cuts 10,000+ Jobs?

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
High Plains Thumper wrote:

Can you name a *SINGLE* OS that has come down in price
over the years?  I sure can't.

Note: He didn't answer the question.  That speaks volumes.

No, rather it speaks volumes of this Funkenbusch troll.  It
selectively snipped away portions it did not want to hear of,
especially regarding the truth about Microsoft's anti-competitive monopoly maintenance practises. However, it is captured all in its glory in Google Groups:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/ee336af603a1951b

It is actions like this that also earned Funkenbusch a record in
the COLA Trolls Blogspot:

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/erik-funkenbusch-troll.html

[quote]
Traits:

    * Microsoft apologist with no peer
    * Spreads FUD about Linux, OSS & GPL (did the same when OS/2
was a threat to Microsoft)
    * Habitual liar
    * When caught lying runs away
    * Will resort to unethical means to denigrate Linux advocates
- always fails
    * Funkenbusch is utterly devoid of ethical values
    * Known to cross post to other Linux newsgroups in a futile
attempt at causing more disruption
    * Obsessed with Roy Schestowitz
    * Racist (see below regarding 419 scams)
[/quote]

For one, Roy Schestowitz's only one so called sin against
the Wintrolls is his posts, which contains bits of truth
about Linux, the OS market place and things of interest to
the Linux community.  Only on an occasion does he interject
personal opinion, most are direct quotes for all to see.  To
call him someone who rubs people wrong is simply not true.

No, his sin is posting things he *KNOWS* are false.  Things he
has admitted to knowing are false, yet continues to repost
them.  Things he's been notified are false, yet does nothing.
He's not beyond character assasinations himself, as Tim has
documented here, and rather than retracting his comments, he
uses HTML markup to "cross out" things, which doesn't remove
the text from the search engines.  In other words, he doesn't
bother to change the semantic meaning of his prattle and
relies on visual markup to pretend he's doing a retraction.

He claims anyone that disagrees with him is employed by
Microsoft, and has gotten into some serious trouble over this.
See:

http://sites.google.com/site/gordymichaels/thoughts-on-advocacy/hit-jobs-gone-wrong

No, rather Mr. Schestowitz hit the nail on the head. After all, it isn't the first time Microsoft has had its hand caught in the cookie jar. Wiki had this to say when Microsoft hired a blogger to make modifications, citing to "correct inaccuracies":

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/24/tech/main2392719.shtml

[quote]
Microsoft Violates Wikipedia's Sacred Rule
Software Giant Offered Blogger Money To Change Postings On
Encyclopedia Web Site

Jan. 24, 2007 | by Francie Grace

(AP) Microsoft Corp. landed in the Wikipedia doghouse Tuesday
after it offered to pay a blogger to change technical articles on
the community-produced Web encyclopedia site.

While Wikipedia is known as the encyclopedia that anyone can
tweak, founder Jimmy Wales and his cadre of volunteer editors,
writers and moderators have blocked public-relations firms,
campaign workers and anyone else perceived as having a conflict
of interest from posting fluff or slanting entries. So paying for
Wikipedia copy is considered a definite no-no.

"We were very disappointed to hear that Microsoft was taking that
approach," Wales said.

Microsoft acknowledged it had approached the writer and offered
to pay him for the time it would take to correct what the company
was sure were inaccuracies in Wikipedia articles on an
open-source document standard and a rival format put forward by
Microsoft.
[/quote]

Microsoft has been known to engage in a falsified letter writing
campaign to build artificial support for leniency in anti-trust
lawsuits it is involved with:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2001-08-23-microsoft-letters.htm

[quote]
08/23/2001 - Updated 11:30 AM ET
Report: Microsoft funded 'grass roots' campaign

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Microsoft has been helping to fund a
letter-writing campaign to pressure state attorneys general to go
easy in their antitrust lawsuits against the software giant, the
Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.

Two letters sent earlier this year to Utah Attorney General Mark
Shurtleff contained the names of dead people, the newspaper said.

The letter-writing campaign targeted some of the 18 attorneys
general whose states have joined the U.S. Justice Department in a
sweeping antitrust lawsuit. No two letters are identical but some
contain similar wording and appeared to be written spontaneously
by ordinary people, the newspaper said.

"It's sleazy," said Minnesota Attorney General Mike Hatch, whose
office received about 300 pro-Microsoft letters. "This is not a
company that appears to be bothered by ethical boundaries."
[/quote]

Microsoft has also maintained an evangelistic philosophy, "Evangelism is War" as a part of their evangelistic jihad:

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/02/19/microsofts-jihad-be-afraid-be-very-afraid/

or http://tinyurl.com/2mmjsa

February 19th, 2008
Microsoft’s Jihad - Be afraid. Be very afraid…

[quote]
It is really mind boggling the depths to which they stoop to achieve “World Domination”. This is verbatim copy from Microsoft presentations and other internal material. [Emphasis mine]

    Evangelism Is War

Our mission is to establish Microsoft’s platforms as the de facto standards throughout the computer industry. Our enemies are the vendors of platforms that compete with ours [....]

    5: Jihad [....]

Working behind the scenes to orchestrate “independent” praise of our technology, and damnation of the enemy’s, is a key evangelism function during the Slog. “Independent” analyst’s report should be issued, praising your technology and damning the competitors (or ignoring them). “Independent” consultants should write columns and articles, give conference presentations and moderate stacked panels, all on our behalf (and setting them up as experts in the new technology, available for just $200/hour). “Independent” academic sources should be cultivated and quoted (and research money granted). “Independent” courseware providers should start profiting from their early involvement in our technology. Every possible source of leverage should be sought and turned to our advantage…
[/quote]

The Comes versus Microsoft lawsuit exposed Microsoft's evangelistic Jihad in newsgroups:

'Use ... the Internet, etc. to heighten the impression that the enemy is desperate, demoralized, defeated, ... associated with mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny". Just keep rubbing it in, via the ... newsgroups, ... make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of the computer industry.'

(Comes vs Microsoft lawsuit, Microsoft Evangelism document, PDF pages 45 & 55 on http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf )

Given the lack of historical credence with the Microsoft
Corporation, I would say that Mr. Funkenbusch's accusations
against Mr. Schestowitz have little basis to stand on.

Regarding Microsoft's OS, I have seen very little change in
my copies of Windows XP Home.  Yes, I have faithfully kept
them updated with service packs, but they still remain the
same basic operating system that they were installed as 6
years ago.  The only difference is that with the service
packs corrected memory allocation instabilities.  Now
Command and Conquer Generals does not require a reboot after
play, whereas 6 years ago it did. Else, the system would
become unstable.

Regarding 64 bit, tablet and media versions, I have no need
of these.  I don't consider them as improvements to my dual
boot Win32 versions, so they don't apply.

Well, i've not seen any change to my 10 year old copy of linux
sitting here either, so I guess Linux is never updated either.

If only Mr. Funkenbusch would download a latest copy (free BTW),
he would be able to see the difference.  However, I have doubts.

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?  Just because YOU don't
see a change doesn't mean Microsoft isn't spending money on
Windows.

Yes, it does sound rather stupid that the truth is only a
download away.  And Microsoft is strictly for profit only
company, damned be the user. If it can get away with minimal fixes (like it did with Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows ME, etc.) that still did not correct problems with crashes, it will.

In case you've forgotten, you claimed that the cost of New
copies of Windows XP today should have gone down in price
because, according to you, Microsoft hasn't spent any more
money on it and has recouped all their costs.

Because it simply did.  I don't consider bug fixes as being value
adds.  What new features did they add in their service packs,
except for newer versions of Direct-X and Windows Media Player?
Did they improve Notepad?  Wordpad?  Add a new game?  Provide a
consumer edition of interpreter BASIC like they used to, so
Windows could be an educational learning experience like it used
to be in DOS and Win 3.1?

Now why would you change the goalposts like that?  Oh, maybe
because you don't want to admit that you made a stupid mistake
and want to weasel out of it.

Goalpost mover, stupid mistake, weasel? I only see one, and that is Erik.

I don't appreciate Mr. Funkenbusch's insinuations that
advocates such as I are don't stick to the truth
(essentially spread lies) and so called "rub people" in the
wrong direction.

You don't stick to the truth, and i've documented many of your
lies, as well as Roy's, as have others.  This is so flagrant
and so common that it has to be intentional.

Oh, really? Rather on many an occasion, I have posted the truth only to watch you slink away.

Need we remind you how were pretending to be multiple people
Mr. Nymshifter Rafael?  You don't call that dishonest?

Oh, so I used an alternate nym in other newsgroups and used a
couple times in COLA.  So what?  I noticed you said little about
prolific nymshifter Gary M. Stewart, the Linux-Sux troll, Rick
Mather (Clogwog, Kadaitcha Man and other nyms), Hadron (Steve
Townsend, Damian O'Leary, Hans Schneider) and others. We have a term for that, it is called "hypocrisy".

This is one of the reasons that advocates provided Section
7.6, Disinformation Tactics in the official FAQ found at

No, it's why you keep posting bullshit trying to make people
forget about your dishonesty.

So, I'll ask again.

Your just another dishonest useless troll stealing bandwidth in this newsgroup.

[snip]

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati