Re: Gnote 0.3.1

Sinister Midget <fardblossom@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 2009-05-15, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@xxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>
>> And yes I am aware of his Mono fanaticism. I'd read an article a couple
>> of months ago, where he shares his whet dream about Gnome 3 being
>> totally rewritten in C#.
>>
>> I seriously hope the Gnome team is not going to let that happen. I love
>> Gnome but as soon as it becomes dependent on Mono, I will drop it in
>> favor of another DE and I am quite sure many will. This might be the
>> death of Gnome and I hope, the Gnome team will realize that.
>
> I've just come to learn to like Gnome over the last few months. I'm not
> married to it, though (nor any other desktop manager). I could switch
> to LXDE, IceWM or XFCE on a dime. Or Fluxbox, Enlightenment, Blackbox
> or KDE (not 4). If MONO permeates all of Gnome, let me go ahead and
> announce in advance that we'll be parting ways.

Won't happen.

Two years of Mono-pushing by Miguel & Co., and the grand total of usable
desktop components are:

- Tomboy, a sticky-notes applet (someone please tell me why I shouldn't
  just open a text editor?!)

- Beagle, a desktop search engine.

- Banshee, a media player.

Beagle and Banshee have competition, lots of it, and in my opinion they
are not even close to the best in their class.

Tomboy has virtually no competition, but maybe that's because it's a
toy.

No, I don't think we have to fear for Mono becoming big. So far, the
only thing big about it is the mouths of its promotors. And the memory
usage of the running programs of course.

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.